Hypothyroidism is caused by inadequate function of the gland itself (primary hypothyroidism), inadequate stimulation by thyroid-stimulating hormone from the pituitary gland (secondary hypothyroidism), or inadequate release of thyrotropin-releasing hormone from the brain’s hypothalamus .Iodine deficiency is the most common cause of primary hypothyroidism.
Hypothyroidism is most commonly caused by the autoimmune disease Hashimoto’s thyroiditis.
Symptoms of Hypothyroidism
- Changes in the menstrual cycle
- Dry hair and hair loss
- Dry skin
- Elevated cholesterol /Hypertension
- Greater sensitivity to cold
- Hoarse voice
- Joint pain, stiffness, and swelling
- Problems with memory
- Muscle aches and stiffness
- Muscle weakness
- Puffy face
- Slow heart rate
- Swelling of the thyroid gland (goiter)
- Unexplained weight gain or difficulty losing weight
- Carpal tunnel syndrome
In allopathy , you will be prescribed synthetic thyroid hormone tablet depending upon your TSH levels. So hormones are provided from outside. In homoeopathy we treat the cause. As mentioned above it is an autoimmune disorder , so we improve the immunity, which in turn regulates the hormonal levels in the body and brings about cure in patient.
Other causes of hyperthyroidism include:
- excess iodine, a key ingredient in T4 and T3
- thyroiditis, or inflammation of the thyroid, which causes T4 and T3 to leak out of the gland
- tumors of the ovaries or testes
- benign tumors of the thyroid or pituitary gland
- large amounts of tetraiodothyronine taken through dietary supplements or medication
Symptoms of Hyperthyroidism
- High amounts of T4, T3, or both can cause an excessively high metabolic rate
- When in a hypermetabolic state, you may experience a rapid heart rate, elevated blood pressure, and hand tremors. You may also sweat a lot and develop a low tolerance for heat. Hyperthyroidism can cause more frequent bowel movements, weight loss, and, in women, irregular menstrual cycles.
- Visibly, the thyroid gland itself can swell into a goiter, which can be either symmetrical or one-sided. Your eyes may also appear quite prominent, which is a sign of exophthalmos
Other symptoms of hyperthyroidism include:
- increased appetite
- inability to concentrate
- irregular heartbeat
- difficulty sleeping
- fine, brittle hair
- hair loss
- nausea and vomiting
- breast development in men
Antithyroid medications, such as methimazole is given to stop the thyroid from making hormones. Radioactive iodine therapy is also given to patients who are non responsive to antithyroid medications .We as homoeopaths treat the cause . As mentioned above , it is an autoimmune disorder , so we increase the immunity of patient which in turn reduces the inflammation of the gland and corrects the excess of thyroid hormone production .